The Holy Trinity Cathedral Organ
The organ was a gift of the Sir John Logan Campbell Trust. It is situated above the Patteson Entrance in the South Transept, with the console on the bridge between the Chancel and Nave. It was built in 1968 by Harrison and Harrison of Durham, England.
The organ has 64 speaking stops spread over three manuals and pedals. The 4,309 pipes range from the full-length 32-foot Contra Salicional (visible at the front), it is the only example of this tapered stop in the world. The copper Fanfare Trumpet is displayed "en chamade" at the front of the case.
One particular feature on the organ is that the Pedal reeds are enclosed in their own swell-box, a luxury found on very few instruments, but very useful in an accompaniment role.
Organ enthusiasts may follow this link for technical specifications. The organ is maintained by the New Zealand Organ Manufactory, based in Oamaru.
St Mary's Organ
The present organ in St Mary's in Holy Trinity was built in 1909 by George Croft of Auckland. In 1985, Croft's rebuilt the organ with electric action and carried out tonal modifications. In 2010 we were able to source pipework made by the same pipemaker and replaced the 1980s alterations with stops more in keeping with the original sound of the organ. These alterations have given the organ a more cohesive colour.