The Cathedral Organs
The Holy Trinity Cathedral Organ
On 8 June 2014 the original organ in Holy Trinity Cathedral, which was installed in 1968 prior to the Cathedral Nave being built, was played for the last time. A new Organ for the Cathedral will be built by Nicholson & Co, of Malvern, Worstershire, England. Construction will commence in May 2015 and will be completed in mid 2017. The Cathedral organ project is at the heart of Selwyn's Vision, a project to complete and consecrate our Cathedral.
We are delighted with the specification and design for the new Cathedral organ offered to us by Nicholson & Co. Ltd. It will be built and installed in two parts and will re-use 800 pipes from the old Cathedral organ.
For more information on the new Cathedral organ, and to donate a pipe click here.
For the New Voice organ specification, click here.
St Mary's Organ
The present organ in St Mary's in Holy Trinity was built in 1909 by George Croft of Auckland. In 1985, Croft's rebuilt the organ with electric action and carried out tonal modifications. In 2010 we were able to source pipework made by the same pipemaker and replaced the 1980s alterations with stops more in keeping with the original sound of the organ. These alterations have given the organ a more cohesive colour.
St Mary's organ is in need of major repair, and is currently not being played. As part of Selwyn's Vision, a project to complete and consecrate our Cathedral, the historic George Croft organ will undergo restoration during 2015. For more information on Selwyn's Vision please click here .